Double Chocolate Scones

I made these for Valentine's day to compliment the tea I wanted to serve for brunch.  Out of all the scones I have made these are my son's favorite.  He's a bit of a chocoholic.  I know what you're thinking, double chocolate scones, they must be really really sweet.  Actually they aren't.  

I know a lot of Americans are unfamiliar with scones.  Some people seem to think they are only eaten at tea parties, lol.  I grew up eating them mainly for breakfast.   How to describe them?  They are very much like the love child resulting from a muffin and a an American biscuit coming together.  Yes, yes, I know scones are much older than American biscuits.  I have seen them mentioned in a couple 16th century cookbooks.  I don't think I have to explain scones to Brits any other people under British rule in the last hundred or so years.  237 years has made a lot of Americans forget wonderful breads such as this.

With that said, you make them the same way you would make American biscuits.  With this scone recipe you still get the chocolate flavor but without all the sugar a typical muffin would have.



Double Chocolate Scones

2 cups Unbleached Flour
1/4 cup of Cocoa
1/2 cup of Raw Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup Cold Butter( I use salted, but use what you like)
1 Egg, beaten
2/3 cup Whole Milk
1 Blood Orange, juice and zest
1/2 cup Double Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

 Preheat oven to 375 Degrees.  Line baking sheet with silpat mats.  In a medium sized mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.  


Using a pastry blender or a couple of large forks, blend the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.  In a small bowl whisk together the egg and milk together.  Alternate adding the egg mixture and the orange juice to the flour mixture.  Make sure not to over mix.


Stir in the Orange zest and Chocolate Chips.  Lightly flour a cutting board and knead dough a few times.  Shape into a circle.  I cut it into 8 triangles like you would cut a pie.  Then I separate the triangles and cut those in half.  Place on baking sheet.  Bake for 18-20 minutes.


Let cool about 3-5 minutes and enjoy.  These are wonderful with Raspberry Jam.





All sorrows are less with bread.
-- Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 

Comments

Popular Posts