Italian Sausage Meatballs

So last night I made Spaghetti and Meatballs.  I was feeling lazy and didn't want to go to the store in the snow.  So I looked around to see what meat I had in my fridge to make meatballs.  I saw that I still had a pound of Italian sausage that I has bought from A. A. Halterman Poultry & Meats down in Reading Terminal Market.  If you're not familiar with this butcher, their meat is absolutely amazing.  I've tried different butchers around the country and it's hard to find quality like this.  Definitely worth wading through the crowds down there to get it.



Italian Sausage Meatballs

16 ounces of Italian Sausage(I use hot, but use mild if you prefer it)
1 Egg
1/3 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1/4 cup Milk(I used whole, but use what you have)
1 tbsp fresh Parsley, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
Olive Oil for greasing pan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.  Remove sausage from casings and put in a medium sized bowl.  Add the rest of the ingredients.


Personally I believe the only really way to mix this is with you hands.


Divide into nine parts and shape into approximately 2 inch sized meatballs.  Bake for 20-30 minutes.  Remember they should be about 160 degrees in the middle with a thermometer to be fully cooked.


Most homemade meatballs will never be perfectly round.  If you are a little ocd and need perfectly round meatballs.  You'll have to do what most restaurants do and deep fry them to keep the shape.


The definitive recipe for any Italian dish has not yet appeared.  We are still creating.
-- Luigi Barzini

Comments

Popular Posts