Broccoli Beef

Recently Wholefoods had a sale on Flank Steak, $5.99 a lb.  Those that know me know I only by my beef there.  I've tried a few different butchers that carry organic meat.  I've never been able to find anything as fresh or as tender as the meat that Wholefoods carries.  One of my favorite things to do with it is make Broccoli Beef.


Broccoli Beef

1/2 lb Flank Steak, cut up into 1" chunks
1/4 cup +1 tbsp Water
1 1/2 tbsp Cornstarch
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tbsp Safflower Oil
1 Small Onion, chopped
2 cups Broccoli Florets
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
2 cups Steamed Rice(I usually start this just before I start cooking the meat) 

I swear this is one of the easiest Chinese recipes to make.  It takes almost no time at all.  First cut up your steak in 1" chunks and place in a medium size mixing bowl.



Add the water, cornstarch, garlic powder and ginger powder and mix to coat the meat.  Let this mixture sit for at least 15 minutes.  Though when I was working outside of my home, I use to make this marinade in the morning before work and let the meat sit in it covered in my fridge all day.  When I got home, I would start some rice and take my marinated meat out of the fridge and cook it and the vegetables.  About 15 minutes later I would have dinner.  Definitely quicker than ordering take out.  Sad thing is soy is in everything nowadays. 

Heat the safflower oil in your wok over med-heat heat.  Fry up your meat for about a minute or two.  

A lot of people ask me why I don't use Canola or Vegetable Oil.   Canola oil is made from GMO rapeseeds.  I know what you're thinking there has to be organic...not really at least 65% of the rapeseed grown is GMO.  Also they use petroleum solvents to break down and process the oil.  While I was working with one of the Cancer Centers of America I learned that this process makes it carcinogenic.  Other side effects from the process are weight gain, heart disease and bowel inflammation.  So I think that rules out that oil, lol.  As for Vegetable Oil or also known as Soybean Oil, my son and I have a soy allergy.  We can only eat fermented soy.  Something about the fermentation process makes it ok, honestly I can't remember what my Allergist said was the reason.  *shrugs*  I've learned it's actually a fairly common allergy.  Usually shows up as body aches and seasonal allergy symptoms.  I thought for years I had seasonal allergies, nope soy allergy.  Sad thing is it's in everything nowadays.
  

Next add your onions and cook for another minute.


Lastly add the broccoli, soy sauce and brown sugar, cook until the broccoli reaches your desired doneness.  I like about a minute or so.


Should look like the picture below.  The meat is a Medium-Rare and the vegetables still have a little bit of crispness to them.  If this isn't your preference then cook it longer.


Take a 1/2 cup of rice and place it in the center of your plate and spoon broccoli beef over rice and enjoy!





The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook.
-- Julia Child

Comments

Popular Posts