Savory Pie Crust

This is the crust I will use for my Ham & Broccoli Quiche that I will be making for Valentine's Day.  I hear people complain about making their own pie crust.  But when you consider the flavor that you get out of buttery flaky homemade crust versus the freezer burnt library paste flavor of the store bought crust, it really baffles me.  Besides if it's a time issue this crust can be made up to a month before you need to use it.  If you want to freeze it.  Shape it into a disk and wrap it with plastic wrap.  Put it inside of a pint size freezer bag.




Savory Pie Crust

1 1/4 cup of Unbleached Flour
1/2 tsp Pink Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 stick of Cold Salted Butter, cut up into pieces
2 to 3 tbsp Ice Cold Water

Place dry ingredients in a food processor.  Pulse to blend.  Add butter and process till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add one tbsp of water at a time till the mixture comes together as a ball.  Remove from food processor and wrap in plastic wrap.  Place in refrigerator for at least an hour and up to 24 hours before using.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Roll the dough out on a floured surface.  My dough is never perfectly round, so what I do is place my dough into my pie pan or tart dish and trim off the excess and patch bare areas, till the crust perfectly fits inside of the pan.  Bake for about 9 minutes.  Let the crust cool for 45 minutes before using.




Pies means Thanksgiving and Christmas and picnics.
-- Janet Clarkson

Comments

Popular Posts