Amazing Chia Seeds and My Breakfast Smoothie recipe

Happy New Year!  Usually I start the year by detoxing.  But with all the craziness going on lately I forgot to buy everything I needed for my juices and soups.  Don't worry I'm not skipping this year.  I will buy everything Friday so I can detox this weekend.

So what did I have for breakfast today?  The same thing I have most mornings, my Blueberry Banana Breakfast Smoothie.


Blueberry Banana Chia Breakfast Smoothie

2 ice cubes
1/4 cup blueberries
1 small banana or half of a lg one(I freeze the other half for another smoothie, adding it to the blender frozen)
1/2 tsp sodium ascorbate(vitamin c powder)
1/2 scoop vanilla flavored denatured whey protein powder
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp natural apple sauce
1 tbsp chia seed gel(recipe follows)

Directions:

Add all the ingredients to a blender.  Blend till smooth and enjoy!  This recipe is for one if you are making this for more people just double it, triple it or do whatever you need to accommodate everyone.  Though my blender has a 3 person limit due to size, lol.  I combined the blueberries with the chia seeds, to help mask the fact that the seeds are there, besides being yummy.


For another variation substitute blueberries for strawberries and the vanilla protein powder for chocolate for a chocolate covered strawberry flavor.





Chia Seed Gel

1/3 cup Chia seeds
2 cups water

Directions:

Mix the chia seeds with the water, make sure all seeds get submerged.  This gel lasts up to 2 weeks in the fridge.  

Chia seeds are amazing!  They have more calcium then a glass of milk, more omega-3s then a fillet of Salmon, and more antioxidants then a handful of blueberries.  The gel has lots of uses so don't freak out if you think you won't be able to use them up making breakfast shakes.  They can be used as an egg substitute in recipes by mixing 1 tbsp to 3 tbsp water per egg.  They give you tons of energy.  You can make your own energy drink by combining 1 tbsp of chia seeds with 1 cup of coconut water.  I find this is the perfect thing to drink right before going to the gym.  They also help suppress your appetite, so if your trying to loose weight they are wonderful for curving midnight cravings.  The gel can be used to thicken soups and gravies instead of flour or cornstarch.  Just sub the gel for the flour one to one. Sometimes I sub them for poppy seeds in recipes or use them to coat fish before baking them in the oven for a nutty tasting coating.  You can also make jams and jellys with them.  



Berry Jam/Jelly

1 cup berries(anything you like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc)
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp warm water
1 tbsp real maple syrup or agave syrup or honey
1 tsp vanilla extract

Add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor.  Blend to desired consistency, slightly blending it will make a jam where thoroughly blending it will make a jelly.  Place Jam into the fridge for at least a hour before serving.


"To keep the body in good health is a duty...otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear."
-- Buddha

Comments

Popular Posts