How To Select, Trim, And Cut Up A Pineapple

Last Sunday, of course we watched football.  To balance my junk food I served pineapple slices and orange wedges.  I'm currently in love with organic pineapple.  I've always loved pineapple,  but the organic ones taste like candy.  I was surprised when I was telling a friend about the pineapple I found, that she says she always buys it pre-cut.  Because she doesn't know how to pick one and cut it up.



So I made a special trip to Whole Foods to pick up one.  I've decided to show how easy it is.  

First smell the pineapple, it should smell sweet.  Not musky or sour.  Next pull on the leaves, if they easily come loose it is ripe.  If it's from a brand you trust though, it's ok to buy a pineapple and let it ripen at your house on the kitchen counter.  Lastly check the sides and bottom to make sure it's free of brown or black spots and free of mold. 


First cut off the top.


Then cut off the bottom.  This will give you a more stable base to work with.


Then start cutting off the sides.


Next cut it in half.



Cut it in half again.



Then cut the core out of it.  After this you can cut it up into desired pieces.



While I was at Whole Foods I also found two new snacks.  I don't usually like chips, but these aren't greasy at all.  Both the chips and the pretzels have the Cape Seasoning on them.  Which is a season salt with a little bit of a kick.



My husband and I discovered this porter at the local Tea & Coffee Festival.  It's my current favorite.  It has a strong coffee flavor with a light vanilla after note.  It's really good with desserts, specially those with chocolate in it.  It went really well with Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake. 


For other game day ideas check out Favorite Game Day Foods.


Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Comments

Popular Posts