Pancakes

I grew up hating pancakes.  My mom only used pancake mixes.  I hated the bland baking soda flavor.  When I got married a friend gave me a cookbook that gave me a basic pancake recipe.  It was so easy I couldn't understand why people used mixes.  I've changed it bit by bit to fit my tastes over the years.  But it's still really easy.

Even though they are easy to make, Will works nights so he gets home usually just as I'm finishing making smoothies and goes right to sleep.  My son loves making his own breakfast sandwiches during the week.  So pancakes, waffles, etc are things we only really have on the weekends.  Though my son has decided leftover pancakes make awesome breakfast sandwiches during the week, lol.





Basic Pancake Recipe

2 Eggs
2 cups Unbleached Flour
1 1/2 cups Whole Milk
2 tbsp Raw Sugar
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
4 tbsp Safflower Oil
1 tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Pink Salt
2 tsp Vanilla

I beat the eggs by themselves for about 30 sec before adding the rest of the ingredients.  Pancake batter can get really stiff and flat if it's over mixed.  Adding the eggs at a later step would require mixing the batter longer then is desired.


Next step I add all the rest of the ingredients.  I don't mix them together till the last ingredient is added.  Then mix the batter till it just comes together.  It will be a little bit lumpy but that's ok, that's how it is suppose to be.


 I have an electric griddle that I set to 400 degrees f.  Or Cook them in a skillet over med-high heat.  I brush it with butter before adding the batter.  It just seems to give the pancakes a better flavor.


 I use a soup ladle to apply the batter to the pan.  It seems to make the perfect sized pancakes.  If you want to add blueberries, chocolate chips, or anything else, add it right after you ladle the batter on top the pan.  That way the pancakes aren't discolored by the juices or melted chocolate.


When the little bubbles pop and stay open, flip.


Top with your favorite topping.  My favorite is butter and real maple syrup.


If you like to take pancakes when you go camping, add all the dry ingredients to a 2 qt mason jar.  When your ready to make them add the wet ingredients.  Shake and pour  as much batter as you like into your frying pan.


 He who goes to bed hungry dreams of pancakes.
-- Unknown

Comments

Popular Posts