Planning My Valentine's Dinner

I'm not a fan of going out to dinner on Valentine's Day.  Something about the crowds and the hurried service just sets me on edge.  So if my husband and I go out we may pick a day near the holiday but never on it.  The past few years I've paired everything I served with a favorite red wine.  This year I'm planning everything around a bottle of Nouveaux-Riche Muscat Canelli from Horizon's Edge Winery.



Nouveaux-Riche Muscat Canelli is a white dessert wine.  It has a rich peach aroma with hints of pear and citrus, like most wines of this type it has a honey like flavor that definitely makes it a perfect dessert wine.  

I personally think it would be wonderful with medium to soft cheeses.  All kinds of nuts, dried or fresh fruit, and light desserts.  I think just like the drier variety that it would pair nicely with spicy cured meats, shellfish, ham and lighter desserts that have cinnamon and/or cayenne in them. 

We're hoping to do a picnic, but if the weather is bad it may turn into a carpet picnic at home.


Menu

Cheese Plate - 3 cheeses




Edam - It's a semi-med Dutch cheese that pairs well with this wine and dried apricots

 Tintern - It's a very creamy semi-med Welsh cheddar with chives and shallots in it.  If you let it sit out for a least 45 minutes before using its, it seems to take on an even creamier softer texture.  This cheese is a great cheese to compliment other creamier cheeses.

Ossau Iraty Pyrenees Brebis Agour - This is a French semi-hard cheese, made from sheep's milk.  I love the extra creaminess of sheep's milk cheeses.  If I can figure out how to sneak one into my cheese plates I will.  This cheese is amazing with berries such as raspberries, peppers or spicy cured meats.

Sopressata, Capocollo and Genoa Salame
Pistachios, Raw Almonds & Raw Pumpkin Seeds
Dried Apricots, Raisins & Cranberries
Assortment of Crackers






Mini Cream Puffs & Fresh Raspberries






Wine is one of the most civilized things in the world and one of the most natural things of the world that has been brought to the greatest perfection, and it offers a greater a range of enjoyment and appreciation than, possibly any other purely sensory thing.
-- Ernest Hemingway

Comments

Popular Posts