Chili Chocolate Mousse with Toasted Hazlenuts

Chocolate has long been thought of as an aphrodisiac.  The Aztec ruler Montezuma was noted for drinking 50 glasses of chocolate a day to keep up his sex drive.  So is it really an aphrodisiac?  Probably...not.  It does contain phenylethylamine and serotonin with produce a euphoric feeling, like when you're in love.  It also contains anandamide like marijuana, though not enough to get "high" off of, but enough to definitely feel good.  

On the other hand chilis are a completely different story.  The capsaicin in chilis produces sweating, increased heart rate and circulation similar to having sex.  It's also a pain reliever.  Some people claim it causes irratation in thier genatelia similiar to being arroused.  I'm not sure I believe that last part myself.  This is my husband's favorite dessert and something I will definitely make for Valentine's Day.



Chili Chocolate Mousse with Toasted Hazelnuts

7 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate(definitely ok to use chocolate chips here)
1/8 tsp Pink Salt
1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 cup Raw Sugar
1/4 cup Water
4 Egg Whites

Some people are afraid to eat raw egg whites.  My personal belief is if you're afraid to eat something raw you shouldn't be eating it cooked.  I love living in Pennsylvania, it's one of only two states to ban hormones and a number of other nasty things.  The farms are small and self regulated by farming associations.  So the meat and produce here is absolutely amazing.  Puts most of the organic food I have eaten in other states to shame.

Before I begin I know some people are looking at this recipe saying to themselves where is the whipping cream?  The chef I apprenticed under told me real chocolate mousse doesn't have whipping cream unless it's to garnish the top.  So this is the way I learned to make it with my own twist.


Unfortunately I don't own a Bain-Marie. *sad face*  So I have to create a water bath by using a medium saucepan that I add about two inches of water to and have brought to a simmer.   Then fit a medium bowl over the top.  TAH DAH!  Perfect water bath.  Make sure the bowl isn't touching the water though.  It will defeat the purpose of the water bath possible resulting in grainy chocolate, yuck!


Next add the chocolate and salt.  I promise you this is all semi-sweet chocolate.  I ran out of some Swedish chocolate squares that I had and added Ghirardelli chocolate chips to make up the difference.


Stir chocolate until it is completely melted, about 5 minutes.  Set the chocolate aside to cool.


In a small saucepan combine sugar, water and red pepper flakes over med-low heat.  Continue stirring until the mixture just comes to a boil.  Remove from heat immediately and cool for 15 minutes.

  
In a mixer whisk together the egg whites until they come to stiff peaks.


Strain the red pepper syrup.  While the mixer is on slowly add the syrup to the egg whites.


Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the chocolate.


When the mixture comes together, divide up into serving bowl.  


Cover and place the the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours for it to set.  It can be made a day ahead.  But storing it longer then this can cause the mousse to separate.


Top with toasted hazelnuts before serving.




All you need is love.  But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
-- Charles M. Shultz

Comments

Popular Posts