Vegetarian Chili

Day two being meat-free.  So far I haven't killed anyone, none of my pets look tasty and I haven't had any cravings for meat...Course this is day two...Though I didn't say I was giving up meat, I'm just helping to make this easier for my son.  This weekend my husband and I have a charity event we are going to with some of his colleagues from work and I plan to take advantage of the non-vegetarian food.  As for showing more love, I wrote four short notes to friends yesterday and one apology letter to someone that I think I misjudged.

The biggest mistake I've seen with vegetarian food is the recipes are bland and boring.  Or they are so creative with unusual vegetables/ingredients that they look scary.  I know it's almost impossible to make vegetarian foods taste exactly like the real thing, but that's no excuse for forgetting to season dishes properly.  My mother-inlaw has an amazing talent for making vegetarian food taste exactly like the real thing.  A lot of her food is Vegan as well.  Unfortunately I don't have the budget for some of the ingredients required to cook that way.  I've never met another person able to create the type of food that she has.



Vegetarian Chili

3 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, chopped
1 Bell Pepper, chopped
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 Can Worthington's Vegetarian Burger(don't worry I have other recipes to use up the rest)
2 tbsp Fresh Parsley
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
3 Cans Beans(I used 2 cans black beans and 1 can of pinto beans)
1 Can Tomato Paste
2 cup Water
2 1/2 tbsp Tapatio
Pink Salt to Taste

In a large pot heat oil and cook onions and peppers for 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and the burger and cook for another 2 minutes.  Add the parsley, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and cook for another 2 minutes to help bring out the flavor of the spices.  Add the lemon juice, the beans, tomato paste, water and the bouillon and bring to a boil.


Turn heat down to low, cover and cook for 1 hour, occasionally stirring or adding water when needed.  Add Tapatio and salt just before serving.  You'll notice from the picture above that I served my chili over a baked potato, added some cheddar cheese and a tbsp of sour cream and never missed the fact that there wasn't meat in the chili.



Chili is one of the great peasant foods.  It's one of the few contributions Americans have made to the world cuisine.  Eaten with cornbread, sweet onions, sour cream it contains all five elements deemed essential by the sages of the orient: sweet, sour, salty, pungent, and bitter.
-- Rex Stout

Comments

Popular Posts