Mardi Gras and Muffulettas

I don't know why this year I'm just not feeling like celebrating Mardi Gras.  I don't know if it's the snow or maybe lack of sunshine or what.  The Mummers put on a big celebration this weekend downtown in Philly.  But with the local news constantly threatening more snow, I just didn't want to stand around outside.  Today I started feeling bad, my son loves the food I make during Mardi Gras every year.  Not that I don't make some of it throughout the year.  I just usually go all out this time of the year.

Some people may know when I was little I had a Creole nanny and so I learned to cook a lot of Creole and Cajun food.  Yes, yes, some of you are laughing at me right now.  When I was little I was convinced that I spoke French.  My mother had had four years of French, never said a word to me otherwise.  In Kindergarten we got a new student that had just moved over from Paris.  I wanted to show off that I could speak French.  *sighs*  Learned that day that my nanny had taught me Français Cadjin.  Unfortunately moving north and having no one to converse with I have lost a lot of it.  Though with joining the SCA several years ago I've noticed it comes back to me if I try to read 17th century French documents.  Which I read quite a few researching and making Will's French fop outfit below(Red Silk Brocade and Velvet Outfit in the Center).


Onto the more important stuff!  This is a stable sandwich down in New Orleans and I thought it would be perfect for lunch this afternoon. 


Muffuletta

3/4 cups Olives in Red Wine Vinegar + 1 tbsp of Vinegar
1/4 cup Giardiniera(Pickled Italian Vegetables, I found my at my local Olive Bar)+1/2 tbsp pickling liquid
1 tbsp Capers + 1 tsp of the brine
1/4 cup Olive Oil
4 cloves Garlic, minced
1 Green Onion, sliced
1 tsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1 pinch of Dried Thyme
1 pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
Italian Sandwich Rolls
Fresh Sliced Mozzarella
Sliced Capocollo
Sliced Genoa Salame
Sliced Sopressata

Start by making your Olive salad.  In a medium bowl combine olives, giardiniera, capers with their liquids.  Stir in garlic, green onion, parsley, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes.  Let the mixture stand for 1 hour before using.  


Open your Sandwich roll and spread the olive salad on both sides.


 Add your Mozzarella, Capocollo, Salame, and Sopressata.  Carefully fold back over.


Cut in half and enjoy!



Mardi Gras, baby, Mardi Gras!  Time when all manner of weird shit cuts loose and parties down.
-- Sherrilyn Kenyon

Comments

Popular Posts