Chimichangas

My family is really disappointed right now.  We just found out that two of the Taco Bells near us shut down.  The other 5 in Philadelphia are just too far away.  I know they aren't the best Tex/Mex fast food.  But in Philly there just isn't much to choose from in this type of food.  Though what we really wanted was the Crisp Bean Burritos that Taco Time has.  I think I saw Chicago has the closest one and Will just won't road trip for one of these.  :(

First off I'm not trying to copy Taco Time I just wanted a fried burrito or Chimichanga.  I decided to stop pining for a new restaurant and make my own.


Chimichangas

1 Flour Tortilla(I use the soft taco size)
3 tbsp Refried Beans
1 tbsp Olives, Sliced
2 tbsp Cheddar Cheese, Grated
Olive Oil for frying


I start with heating the refried beans.  I don't fry the burritos for very long.  I just heat up the beans to make sure the they aren't cold in the middle.


Next smooth out the beans onto the tortilla.  Try to keep it all in the middle, otherwise trying to fold this up will be really messy.


Add the cheese...


Fold the two sides over.


Carefully roll it up.  Don't push too hard or the tortilla will rip.  Heat you're skillet up over medium heat.  The amount of oil you add is really up to you.  If you add a couple of  tablespoons to the pan it will be crispy on the top and bottom.  Where if you have a couple of inches of oil in the pan it will be crispy all the way around.  I opted for a lighter version this time and went with a couple of tablespoons.


Fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until they reach a golden brown color.


Eat them just the way they are or pair them with salsa and sour cream.  I know a lot of restaurants put enchilada sauce over the top.  But I feel that ruins the crispy outside that you worked hard to achieve and makes it soggy.

I usually make two per person but there always seems to be extra beans left over.  So I make the burritos up and freeze them in freezer bags for my son so he always has some sort of after school snack.


To cook the frozen burritos just bake them for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.  I haven't bought frozen burritos is years after prepping a bunch of these up.

Another idea if you get the smaller flour tortillas I believe they are 8 inch.  You can make up a bunch of mini burritos, freeze them and either bake them or thaw and fry them for appetizers.  These are awesome for football parties and such.


Thanks a lot for mentioning Taco Bell, my long lost love of fake Mexican food.
--Unknown

Comments

Popular Posts