Spicy Celery & Rice Soup

I really love soup for a number of reason.  Number one I find it really comforting.  Two it's really slimming.  I know I exercise a lot, but I think eating soup for at least one meal a day, almost every day of the week has helped me to lose 60 pounds over the years.  Otherwise I must have a tapeworm.  Which I shall call George and he will be a well loved pet that I keep close to my heart, err intestines...  Three I think there are a lot of health benefits to eating soup.  I use to do hospice care.  I had one client that was a true fighter.  She had been put on a renal  diet/cardiac diet/cancer diet.  Since there wasn't a lot she could eat, she decided she was going to eat healthy homemade soups and prove to her doctors that she would live longer then 6 months.  Four years later she's still fighting...



Spicy Celery & Rice Soup

3 tbsp Olive Oil
5 stalks Celery, chopped
1 Jalapeno Pepper, seeded and finely minced
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
8 cups Chicken Broth
1 cup Rice
1 tsp Horseradish Sauce
2 tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped

In a large pot heat the oil.  Add the celery and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for another minute.


Next add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Turn the heat down to low.  Add the rice, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.


Add the horseradish and parsley and simmer for another 5 minutes.


I think the soup goes wonderfully with alfalfa sprout sandwiches.


A first rate soup is more creative than a second rate painting.
-- Abraham Maslow

Comments

Popular Posts