Spicy Lettuce Soup

Day one of being meat-free.  Haha, sounds like the beginning of my log in captivity.  I was vegetarian for years so for me it's not a big deal, my son on the other hand...big carnivore.  I think a lot of people find the idea scary, but there are so many normal vegetarian meals that people eat everyday it's really not hard at all.

Though when most people hear that I make lettuce soup they get nervous.  Where people all over the world make some variation of this soup.  The Chinese, Romanians, Mexicans and so many others have a lettuce soup.  It seems in the US where lettuce it used primarily for salads that it is some how weird.  I'm hoping to prove with this soup that it's not weird at all.


Spicy Lettuce Soup

2 tbsp Butter
1 Onion, chopped
1 Bell Pepper, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 head Lettuce, chopped, red leaf is my favorite in this, but I use what looks best.
6 cups Chicken Stock
5 oz Chevre Cheese, it's a soft goat cheese

Melt butter in a stock pan and saute onions and peppers for 4 minutes.  Add garlic and saute for another minute.  Sprinkle the cumin and cayenne pepper on the vegetables cook for another minute to help bring out the flavor of the spices.  Add the lettuce and wilt for a minute.


Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.


Add the goat cheese and use a stick blender to blend until smooth.



Did you know you can drink food?  It's true!  It's called soup, and I eat it with a fork.  I'm as efficient as the government.
-- Jarod Kintz

Comments

Popular Posts