Egg Foo Young

I just finished growing another batch of  Mung Bean sprouts.  One of my favorite things to do with them is add them to my Chicken Stir-Fry.  But today I really want Egg Foo Young.  Some of you know that I'm a little wary of most of the "Chinese" restaurants in my area.  It just bothers me where I currently live in Philly  most of the restaurants are Chinese/Japanese/Thai/American/Cheesesteaks all in one restaurant.  To me it just says we haven't really mastered any of these, but maybe something on our menu will appeal to you.  So since these are really easy to make, I've decided to make my own.



Egg Foo Young

1 Small Onion, chopped
1 cup Bean Sprouts
2 Green Onions, sliced
1 Clove Garlic, sliced
1/4 cup Ham, chopped(for a vegetarian option I add mushrooms here instead)
1 tbsp Cornstarch
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp Pink Salt
1/2 tsp White Pepper
6 Eggs
3 tbsp Safflower Oil

Sauce

2 cups Beef Broth
 1 tbsp Mushroom Sauce
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
3 tbsp Cornstarch

In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of oil and cook the onions for about 4 minutes.


Add the bean sprouts and green onions and cook for 1 minute.  Add the garlic and cook for another minute.  Turn the heat off.


Add the ham, cornstarch, soy sauce, salt and pepper and mix well.  


Transfer the mixture to a plate to cool to room temperature.  I make 3 large patties.  Most people would probably make 6 small patties with this recipe.  I like to take the easy route though.  In a small bowl beat the eggs two at a time.  In a medium skillet heat the rest of the oil.  Pour the eggs(2) into a skillet and top with 1/3 of the vegetable mixture.  Fry till golden brown on both sides.  Repeat this process till you have three patties made.


To make the sauce.  Add the ingredients to a small pot, whisk them together till smooth.  Bring to a boil and cook for about 1 minute or until it reaches a gravy like thickness.


I always serve mine with some steamed rice.



An Egg today is better than a Hen tomorrow.
-- Benjamin Franklin

Comments

Popular Posts