Quick & Easy Chili and Cornbread

So today is a gym day.  Usually on gym days I like something rich and meaty.  On top of that it's really cold outside.  So when I get back from the gym I really want something warm and comforting.  But I'm also usually really tired when I get back, so I want something really easy to make.  So I decided to make Chili and Cornbread today.

Start the chili first, so the cornbread and the chili are done about the same amount of time.


Chili

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 lb of lean Beef
1 Onion, chopped
1 Bell Pepper, chopped 
4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
2 tbsp Fresh Parsley
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 tbsp of Fresh Lemon Juice
3 cans of Beans(Whatever kind you like) I used black beans here, do not drain
1 can of Tomato paste
1 cup of Water
2 1/2 tbsp of Tapatio or to taste
Pink Salt to taste

Dirrections

In a large pot add olive oil and ground beef and cook over med heat till brown.


Add onion and pepper and cook about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.


Add parsley, cumin, paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.  Add the lemon juice, beans, tomato paste and water and bring to a boil.


Turn heat down to low, cover and cook for one hour occasionally stirring or adding water when needed.  Add Tapatio and Salt right before serving.  Some of you might be thinking an hour isn't quick.  I guess I'm use to the chili my mom use to make and even won the Texas Chili cook off with. That chili took all day to make.  Also I have Soy allergies and haven't found any store bought chili that doesn't contain soy in one form or another in it.  So chili has to be made from scratch around here.


Cornbread

1 1/4 cup Unbleached Flour
3/4 cup Cornmeal
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/3 cup Raw Sugar
3/4 tsp Pink Salt
1 1/4 cup Whole Milk
1/4 cup Virgin Coconut Oil
1 Egg

Directions

Preheat Oven to 400.  Combine ingredients together, be careful not to over mix.  



Pour into a greased 8x8 inch pan.  Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.  


I use to make buttermilk cornbread with shortening(vegetable shortening is made from soy and the way it's processed your body treats it just like lard).  But I really didn't like the taste of buttermilk with coconut oil.  Whole milk seems to compliment the coconut oil better.



"The best comfort food will always be greens, cornbread, and fried chicken."
--Maya Angelou

Comments

Popular Posts