Naan Bread

I think Naan bread is becoming more common in the states in that past few years.  If you're not familiar with it, it's a savory type of flatbread very common in places such as south Asia.  A friend of mine from Burma likes to serve it for breakfast.  I've seen a lot of Indian restaurants serve it along with meals.  Even a few fusion restaurants turn it into tacos, burgers or pizzas.  This is one of my favorite breads to make.  I'd probably make it all the time if my waist would let me get away with it.  I hope you will fall in love with it as much as I did.


Naan Bread

1 tsp Dry Active Yeast
1/2 cup Warm Water
1 tbsp Raw Sugar
3 tbsp Milk
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Salt
2 cups Flour
Oil, for frying
Butter for brushing

Dissolve yeast into warm water for 10 minutes.  


Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.  This is a bread I usually mix with my hands.


Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and kneed the dough for 6-8 minutes.  Lightly oil bowl and transfer the dough back to the bowl.  Cover with a wet towel for one hour.  Punch the dough down and divide and roll into golf ball sized balls.  Cover them and allow them to rise again on a baking sheet for 30 minutes.


On a floured surface, roll flat.


Over medium heat heat about 1 tbsp of oil.  Place the dough into that pan fry till golden brown.  


These will puff and bubble while frying which is a good indicator that they may need flipped.


Transfer to a plate, brush with butter and allow them to cool before serving.  Add more oil to the frying pan as needed in between frying the bread.


Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.
-- James Beard

Comments

Popular Posts