Bank Robbers & Carrot Cake Cupcakes

Today has been a really exciting day.  It was as pretty today, While Will was off playing golf with some of the guys from work, Jaiden and I went out to lunch just down the street at Applebees(I'm loving their soup and salad combos for lunch).  Though when we were walking home we noticed that there were 5 helicopters over our apartment complex.  At first we just thought there was something going on down in Wissahickon Park, since we live right along the park.  But then we noticed the FBI, Homeland Security, Police, Philadelphia Counter Terrorism Units in the parking lot in front of our building.  My first thought was if Lox was ok(which she was).  Apparently about 5 people in the building across the street robbed a local bank and actually brought the cash back to their apartment.  O.o


Every news channel in the area was here.  Actually most of them are still here at 11:15 pm.

One of the robber's cars being towed.

So instead of studying like I was suppose to today(still completed a chapter and took two review tests) I baked my carrot cake cupcakes and hung out with my neighbors as we watched the drama unfold across the street.  Oh well there is always tomorrow.  Though we have the Cherry Blossom Festival on Saturday.



Carrot Cake Cupcakes

2 cups Raw Sugar
1 1/3 cups Safflower Oil
1/4 cup Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 Eggs
2 cups Unbleached Flour
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Pink Salt
1 lb Grated Carrots
2 Cups Trail Mix(Equal parts Cranberries, Raisins, Raw Hazelnuts, Raw Almonds, Raw Pumpkin Seeds) or 1 cup Raisins and 1 cup Pecans, chopped


I know what you're thinking, Trail Mix?!?!  I got blocked in after we got back from lunch and they didn't really want anyone coming and going while they were searching the building across the street.  Someone in my house ate all of my pecans and raisins so I started looking through the house for a substitute since I already had the batter started.  I saw the trail mix I take with me when I go hiking every day with my dog.  I thought why not....I didn't notice a huge difference in taste and Jaiden ended up liking these better.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In your mixer beat the sugar, oil, milk, vanilla extract together.


Add the eggs one at a time.  In a separate bowl mix the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together.  Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in thirds.  Remove the beater and stir in the grated carrots.


Stir in the trail mix or raisins and pecans.


Line your cupcake pan with paper liners and fill each cup 3/4 full.


Bake for 10 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350 and bake for 20 more minutes.  Let cool completely on a baking rack before icing.

We snuck out the back door of our apartments and went out for our walk while we waited for the cupcakes to cool.




When we got back we frosted the cupcakes, of course had to sample them.





Here's the difference between Morelli and me.  My first thought was always of cake.  His first thought was always of sex.  Don't get me wrong I like sex...a lot.  But it's never going to replace cake.
-- Janet Evanovich

Comments

Popular Posts