Mother's Day Weekend

Jaiden decided this year that he wanted to take me out to lunch for Mother's Day.  But forgot to make reservations till the last minute so he was scrabbling to find a restaurant that he and I would both like that wasn't completely booked up.  Both of us forgot about all the college graduations in the area, so every restaurant was crazy busy this weekend.  He finally found a reservation at the Iron Hill Brewery.


I will have to admit Will and I have been coming here for their beer for a while, but this was the first time I have ever eaten here.  Our favorite beers being the Raspberry Wheat, Oompa Loompa Chocolate Stout and Hefeweizen.  I love their placemats!


We started with their buffalo wings.  The skin was perfectly crispy and the sauce actually had some heat.  Those that know me know that I think most of the wings around here are really really mild.  

This month they have a different burger special every day that aren't normally on the menu.  Will & Jaiden got the daily special a Bacon Lover's Burger(Cheeseburger with bacon jam and peppered bacon on it).  I got their Big Bold Blue burger(burger with blue cheese, hickory smoked bacon and onion rings).  I they ruined my chances of ever eating fast food burgers again.  The buns are handmade and went perfect with the meat that they cook to your desired doneness.  What I love is that you can pick your side to go with your burger.  I got their side salad, absolutely love their house dressing which is like a more flavorful Italian dressing.  Will and Jaiden got their fries.  Which I noticed weren't greasy and you could tell the fries were made from real potatoes by the small amounts of skin still on the fries.  

As for dessert, Will tried their signature ice cream, a malted bourbon pecan.  They are extremely generous giving 3 large scoops and a cookie on the side.  The ice cream was a really creamy vanilla bean, with ribbons of  malted bourbon syrup that had a rich caramel flavor that went perfectly with the roasted and salted pecans.  Jaiden had his favorite dessert the flourless chocolate torte with a tart raspberry sauce.  I had their Meyer Lemon Pie, since it's my favorite pie!  Theirs is more like a lemon tart, served with whipped cream and the raspberry sauce.  This has to be one of the best lemon pies I've had in a while.  I thanked Jaiden for the meal and I know we will definitely be back for more then just their beer next time.


That afternoon we took a new route into the park.  Near some stables off of Cathedral Rd.  We noticed tons of large spider egg sacs.


Kind of creepy!  Even creepier thinking how big the spiders must be that come out of them.


Overall it was a fun day, even with the creepy spider nests.


A mother is the dearest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us, she will cling to us, and endeavor her kind precepts and counsel to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.
-- Washington Irving

Comments

Popular Posts