Macadamia Almond Milk

With the price of milk the last few years, I switched to plant based milk.  I know if you buy it at the store it's scary expensive.  If you make it yourself it's super cheap.  First Amazon is the best place for buying nuts in bulk.  I buy a 5lb bag of macadamia nuts for $28.48 and a 40 oz bag of almonds for $13.48.  Otherwise, I would never be able to have such a decadent milk.  The secret to plant based milk is you use a tiny bit of nuts to make a full pitcher of milk.  Though it's creamy and just as refreshing as regular milk.

First off if you plan to make your own milk I highly advise buying a nut/bean milk maker.  I did a lot of research and found the Miomat for the price had the least amount of pulp, is extremely easy to clean, and comes with a ton of recipes, a mesh strainer, and a measuring cup.  Just not macadamia almond milk sadly.  I provided a link below.  If you make your own soy milk it's also the best at making soy milk in its price range.

MioMat 8in1 Plant-based Milk Maker | Soy Milk, Almond milk, Nut Milk, Oat Milk, Cashew Milk | + Soups, Porridges and Smoothies | FREE Recipe Book | Self-Cleaning | Raw Milk Program | Stainless Steel https://a.co/d/eD7MSav

This is my favorite milk so through trial and error I created this recipe.  It also makes soups, porridge, smoothies, and applesauce.  FYI, it has one of the best chai tea recipes I have ever tried.  I end up using mine almost every day for something.  If you don't have a milk maker, don't worry.  This can be made in a blender, but you will have to simmer the milk afterward.



Macadamia Almond Milk

(Makes 1 liter of milk)

1/2 cup of macadamia nuts

1/4 cup of almonds

1 tbsp cold pressed oil(optional)

Pinch of salt

Water

First off, soak your nuts for at least 4 hours.  I am lazy and throw them in my Miomat with water to the fill line the night before.  Otherwise, I will probably forget about them.  First thing in the morning I add the oil and salt, select the raw milk function, and make a cup of tea while I wait.  The oil is optional, but it gives it the smooth consistency of store bought milk.  When it's done I strain it with the wire mesh strainer.  It's done.  Just needs to cool before I add it to the fridge.

If you don't have a milk machine, use your blender.  You do need a decent blender.  I was able to make mine in my Ninja Professional. Strain with either a nut milk bag or a wire mesh strainer.  But you will need to simmer it at 107F/42C degrees for 12 minutes.

I just listed water without an amount because you can determine the amount based on how creamy you want it.  More water will give whatever consistency of milk you want.  Less water will give you more of a cream.  If you are using a milk machine, don't reduce your water for cream.  Add more nuts.  I add the ingredients and water to equal 1 liter of milk before straining.  Be prepared for this milk froths a lot and can easily be used as cold foam for your morning coffee.

Bonus recipe!

If you are looking for a super cheap milk oat milk, this is it.

Oatmilk

(Makes one liter)

1/2 cup oats

Pinch of salt

Water

Oat milk is probably the easiest milk to make and can be made without soaking.  Any blender can make it.  After straining the milk, place it in a pot on the stove and bring the temperature up to 203F/95C for 20-25 minutes.  Let cool before storing in the fridge.

Bonus tip: Don't throw the pulp away with any type of milk it can replace up to 50% of the flour in your baking recipes.  I even use it to make gnocchi.


Think what a better world it would be if we all, the whole world, had cookies and milk about 3 o'clock every afternoon, and then lay down on our blankets for a nap.

- Barbara Jordon


Comments

Popular Posts