Kale Pesto & Chicken Artichoke Pizza with Pesto


So this is my sad garden from my back door.  It's hard to see but it's raining and I didn't want to get soaked.  So it's really hard to see my eight full size kale plants...I have been lazy using them and decided I needed to start doing something with them before they die.  


So I thought why not try making a pesto out of kale...I know I was scared too.  But I found adding balsamic vinegar to the recipe seemed to balance out the flavor.


Kale Pesto

3 cups Kale, chopped
3/4 cup Pecans
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
Juice of one Lemon
2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
5 cloves Garlic
3/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Ideally you would place all of these ingredients in a food processor and it would come out perfect.  My food processor broke in my move and I have yet to find one I like as much as my old one.  If you do this in a blender like I did add the olive oil and nuts and blend them first.  Add the rest of the ingredients and as long as you have patience it will come out just as good.

Once I had the kale pesto made I had to figure out something to do with it...I thought I have pizza dough in the fridge...let's try making a pizza with part of it.



Chicken Artichoke Pizza with Pesto

1 lb Pizza Crust(not going to lie I went to Whole Foods and bought mine this time)
1/2 cup Kale Pesto
2 Baked Chicken Skinless Thighs(remove the meat and discard the bones), chopped
1/2 cup Marinated Artichoke Hearts, chopped
1/3 cup Crimini Mushrooms, sliced or chopped
1/3 cup Olives, sliced
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 1/2 cups Mozzarella Cheese, grated
Olive oil and cornmeal for the pan


Preheat your oven to 375.  Start out by greasing and sprinkling cornmeal in the bottom of a cask iron pan. 


Next roll out your dough on a floured surface. Press it into the pan.  I folded over the edges because I wanted thicker crust.  Make yours however you want.


Add the pesto and smooth it evenly out.


Next add all of the chicken and vegetables.  Sometimes I use leftover rotisserie chicken in this.


Next I add my Parmesan cheese.  It doesn't brown as well as mozzarella so I always put it on under the other cheese.


Add the mozzarella cheese and back for 20 minutes or until it reaches your desired brownness.  Enjoy!



I think of dieting, then I eat pizza.
--Lara Stone


Comments

Popular Posts