New Start

Bridge at Espada Park

So we have finally moved to San Antonio.   Computer broke along the way and now my laptop is locked up.  So I am going to try this on my phone .  Cross your fingers this works.

I have good and bad news....

Bad news first, I have gained a bit of weight with all of the constant moving around for work the last eight months.  Apparently the fast food diet doesn't work for mantaining a healthy weight.  I know it is possible to eat at fast food restaurants on a diet.  But lets be serious here, once your in the restaurant and you smell all of the wonderful horrible smells floating through the area.  Who still wants to buy the salad?  I swear when you do buy that salad, the people that work there are against your diet....like you know we have free fries today or would you like a slice of pie with your salad.....really?!?!?

Good news.  I have decided not to let this get me down, I am nutritionist after all.  So I have devised a diet and exercise plan to get myself back on track, while trying to keep it healthful.  Most diets seem appalling to me, fast on shakes until your thin....no thank you!  Instead I have made filling meals that are satisfying.  I have decided to blog as much as I can to share my recipes and exercise with those trying to loose weight as well.

Rule one, avoid fast food at all costs.  I know that french fries are my cryptonite.  Better to just avoid them all together.

Rule two, don't weigh yourself.  So far I am two weeks in and I have gained 4 lbs.  Seems like the wrong direction.   I know this is where a lot of people would quit and say this diet isn't working.  I weighed myself purely to demonstrate why that is a bad approach to weight loss.  Instead go to Walmart spend $1 on a spool of measuring tape.

I take pictures to see how far I have come. 

Beginning Measurements as of June 15, 2017
Neck 14"
Chest 33"
Waist 34.5"
Belly Button 38.5"
Glutes 39"
Right Thigh 23"
Right Calf 14.5"
Right Arm 11.5"

Measurements today June 29, 2017
Neck 13.5"
Chest 32.5"
Waist 34"
Belly Button 35.5"
Glutes 38.5"
Right Thigh 21.75"
Right Calf 13.5"
Right Arm 11.25

I still have a long way to go to get back to where I was.  I wanted to show why measurements make so much more sense then weighing one's self.

On another note always take your meassurements first thing in the morning after you have gone to the bathroom.   I was amazed how much these numbers changed after a short walk with my dog and drinking two glasses of water.  Only measure every two weeks.  Weekly meassuring will drive you crazy.  Lastly there may be some ups and downs with fat loss and muscle gain.

Rule three, this is the most important one.  You have to plan all your meals.  It's why most people fail on diets.  I use an app called Meal Planner, it's worth spending the one time fee of $1.49 to upgrade to premium.  The premium lets you start your plan on whatever day you want.  Best part it lets you add snacks.  Helps me keep all my meals planned and creates a shopping list based on my meals.

Whatever you decide to do. You have to pick a day to plan the next week's diet and make a shopping list and only buy what is on that shopping list.  This may mean changes to the rest of your family's diet as well.  My son makes his own breakfast and lunches and hasn't complained about our dinners.  He makes a seperate list of what he needs and I buy that as well.  My husband eats everything I do, just a portion appropriate to his size and activity level.

Rule four no sampling, nibbling, or finishing.  What do I mean by this? When you go to the grocery store no sampling from vendors pushing their products.  Or restaurants handing out samples of new appetizers.  Absolutely no samples!

No nibbling on others food to see what something tastes like. Or you wonder what the fruit snacks your kids are eating tastes like.  No nibbling!

Definitely no finishing. If you are 80% full stop. It takes your brain 20 minutes to catch up with your stomach and tell you that you are full.  People in Japan have figured this out and stop when they are 80% full.  Or eat slower.  Don't finish your kid's food.  Most of us are guilty of this.  I grew up with a mom that would tell me I always had to finish my food.  That their were starving children in Ethiopia.  The smart ass that I am, I said we should mail my food to them because I was full.  Take a deep breath and be thankful that they have plenty to eat.  If you see a lot of food leftover, cut back on how much you are making.

Stay tuned for meal plans and exercise plans. 

If you believe that weight loss requires self deprivation, I'm going to teach you otherwise.
- Robert Atkins

Comments

Popular Posts